Thursday, August 18, 2011
Ack. My how time flies! Life has been so crazy with the move. I feel like we are finally settled in our new house. My eating has been all over the place and I am trying to clean that up and get more into cooking. Being a vegetarian I have gotten really boring with my eating. Think lots of frozen veggies and pasta. Whenever we eat out I always hit up asian places b/c I love to get their stir fried wok tofu. Love it! But every time I try to make tofu at home it is an epic fail.
So, I did a little research and found out about tofu presses! voila. I am a tofu making genius. Here's a little blurb from their site-
Hoisin Ginger Tofu with Smoky Tahin
by Mama Pea
Prep Time: 45 min.Cook Time: 12 min.
Ingredients (2-4 servings)
- One 15 oz. package extra-firm tofu, pressed and sliced into 1 x 2 inch slabs
- 2 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 T. hoisin sauce
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 2 T. water
- 2 t. minced ginger
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 4 c. shredded cabbage
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 large bell pepper, julienned
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 T. tahini
- 2 t. minced ginger
- 1 t. agave or stevia to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 slices tempeh bacon, cooked and chopped into pieces
- To make the tofu, drain and press and cut into slabs.
- Prepare the marinade, by combining soy sauce, hoisin sauce, lemon juice, water, ginger and garlic.
- Reserve half of the minced ginger for the slaw, if you are making it as well.
- Add tofu to the marinade and lightly toss.
- Allow tofu to marinate for anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare slaw by placing cabbage in a large bowl.
- Add shredded carrots and bell pepper strips.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, tahini, ginger, sweetener of choice and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over the top of the slaw and toss until evenly coated.
- Top with tempeh bacon, if using. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat broiler to prepare tofu.
- Remove tofu from marinade and place on a cookie sheet that has been spritzed with oil or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Drizzle tofu with any remaining marinade and broil for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Plate tofu with slaw and serve.
- distance runner attempting to run a marathon in every state, vegetarian foodie, mediocre triathlete, sucky swimmer, mommy to Harper, tea lover, coffee drinker, animal saver, hubby snuggler, race addict, full time working 31 year old living in cleveland
Marathons so far
Blogs I read
- ▼ 2011 (30)
- ► 2009 (107)
- ► 2008 (201)